[GeoStL] Re: Group caching trips

  • From: "Mark Schiefelbein" <mark_schief@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:44:42 -0700

-

I would like to do a group cache with a couple of the
harder ones and maybe a few of the easier ones in
Columbia. Something like "Murder" or the "Heist" tied
in with a few like Ag Park and Tiger Hollow.

As the resident Columbia cacher, I'll mention that while all of the caches around here are possible to do in one day, there's some that take some special circumstances. Without giving too much away, here's the breakdown:

The Great Columbian Multicache: No special equipment needed, other than determination to finish it. It has a lot of stops, but it can be done in one day - it seems to be taking people around 6-8 hours to finish it.

Cloak and Dagger: Once you're done decoding the cache page, it will probably require a short bit of research to understand the clues you get from the first two caches. A trip to the Summer Journal cache in conjunction with this one would be a very good idea, or else some Internet research. This cache has been successfully done in one day (along with other caches) by someone visiting from Kansas City, via the Summer Journal route.

Murder: Part of the cache involves a password-protected Word document, available on the cache page to download. It would be easy to bring this along on a laptop, if one was available. Otherwise, see below for public net access ideas in town.

The Heist: The initial cache will give you some information including a web address, which has links to some very creatively done clues for the rest of the cache.

Free wireless internet for laptops is available at Osama's Coffee Zone downtown (no, not THAT Osama), and I believe they also have net-connected computers available by the hour. Bring your own wireless card, though. Lakota Coffee Co., also downtown, has both free Ethernet and wireless net access, but I'm not sure if they have any computers of their own for use. Both are on 9th Street - Osama's is close to campus and Shakespeare's Pizza, and Lakota is a block or two south of Broadway.

Don't let the requirements for computers or research scare anyone away from trying these caches - they're really a blast to do. I've not come across anything quite like them anywhere else, and it's a bit sad that the visits have dropped off sharply now that the active local cachers have hit them.

As Dan mentioned, the ones north of town are also worth a trip sometime too. I had quite a good time at Gone Fishin' this weekend heaving rocks and boulders to break the ice so I could go "angling" for the cache with a rope and magnet. Keep an eye on the weather, though...if there's been a cold snap, I suspect the ice might be too thick to get at this one.

--mark/ooga booga

P.S. Perhaps the summary of the caches above might be a good thing to stick on the website somewhere...I'd hate for someone to come out here planning on doing one of the "biggies" and not be able to.