[GeoStL] Re: Girl Scout Geocaching Badge

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:51:48 -0700 (PDT)

Zeke:

Back in late June, SLAGA prepared a complete set of adult training materials
for
the Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri.  These included very detailed instructions
for conducting a number of different GPS-related activities, including a
"geocaching expedition" to someplace like Forest Park.  The instructions are
detailed enough that an adult with no GPS experience whatever would be able to
conduct the activity -- including loading coordinates into the GPS units. I
have
no idea what became of the information after we submitted it to GSEM, but my
recollection is that their target date for actual use of the materials was
January, 2012.  Our contact at GSEM is Melanie Palmer, who is Director of Adult
Development.  Or contact me off-list if you want an "unofficial" copy of what
we
sent them. (You won't need them if you're running the activity yourself.  But
if
your neighbor will be on her own...)

As far as making it enjoyable for the girls, I have suggestions based on my
experience with summer camp outing I conducted for a local troop.  Make sure
that you keep the distances traveled, terrain, etc. appropriate for the age
group and "outdoor tolerance" of the girls in question.  Particularly for
younger groups, it might not be possible to do that using real caches.  For the
day camp activity, we used temporary caches which were much closer together
than
gc.com guidelines allow.  (On the other hand, I have no idea if this would
satisfy badge requirements.)

If you use real caches, use only caches that gc.com would rate as "beginner"
caches -- regular size, recently found, low D/T ratings.  If this is part of
some other activity, be sure to "salt" the caches -- real or temporary -- with
materials which tie into the theme of the activity.  Regardless, if you use
real
caches, you will want to make sure that they contain sufficient swag of a type
which will appeal to your audience.  My experience is that this is rarely the
case unless you visit the caches in advance and add swag appropriately.  If
using real caches, "trade even or up" applies.  So you also need to provide
each
girl with at least one item of swag to trade.  Do visit the caches in advance
--
if nothing else, you need to make sure that they are there and in good
condition. And it never hurts to see how long it will take to run the course

If the girls will be caching in more than one group, make sure that you have
adequate adult supervision.  Girl Scout youth safety guidelines make the Boy
Scouts look positively reckless :-D  I'm sure your neighbor has experience with
this.  Also make sure that you have a plan for sending them off to different
caches to start so that the whole thing doesn't turn into a conga line.  Make
sure that the groups are small enough that each girl gets to "drive" at least
once.  If at all possible, use the same type of GPSr for all groups.  You're
going to have to show the girls (and adults!) how to use them, so simpler units
are better.  Be sure they know how to "mark the car" -- or include a waypoint
for the parking area.

Tie-ins with "leave no trace" are always good.

I might also suggest Queeny Park as another possible location.  Cache density
is
high and parking and restrooms are available.

Tom