[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching Article in The Cuba Free Press

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:43:33 -0500

- Nice article.  Bernie

Jen wrote:
Here is a copy of the article written about Matt and I.

It was on the front page and second pages in this weeks Cuba Free Press.

Matt and I accidently ran into this reporter when we were first deciding where to place the final caches to our Mural Tours.  It just so happened that one of the organizations we contacted about placing a cache had a reporter as a member.

Enjoy,
Jen & Matt

JustJen & Matt

Technology Boosts Tourism

Cuba’s latest and, perhaps, oddest venture into tourism originates with a hometown girl. It involves a high tech form of hide-n-seek and what we might have once viewed as spy-guy stuff. While it may sound slightly sinister, you will discover it is fun, wholesome, and will draw likable visitors to our town. Jennifer (Neff) Crittenden, now living in Bourbon, grew up in Cuba and graduated from high school here. Her husband Matt graduated in Alaska and now works at Brake Parts. Since Jennifer and Matt enjoy the area, they want to share the parks, the murals, and locations such as the History Museum with others. So Jennifer decided to combine a recent hobby with her enthusiasm for her hometown.
Last October while surfing the web, she ran into a geocaching (pronounced geocashing) web site. Jennifer found out that this sport used gadgets called GPS units, to follow a set of coordinates to certain locations where geocachers find more coordinates, a prize, or just get to feel the thrill of a successful hunt. GPS means Global Positioning Systems, and these devices get their guidance from satellites in the sky. Winter is actually the best time for geocaching because the signals are not interrupted as much by trees, but it is an activity that can be enjoyed during any season.
When cachers find the site, or cache, they sign a log. It is usually housed in something weatherproof like tupperware or some other container. Sometimes there is something for them in the cache or there is another set of coordinates. People not involved in geocaching, who run across the caches and destroy them, are called “muggles.” Sometimes there is just one cache, and, at other times, there is a series of them. The originators of the cache can put in coins, souvenirs, or other items of interest.
Jennifer thought this activity sounded interesting, so she borrowed a GPS unit and tried geocaching. After a few more times out, she and Matt were both hooked and bought their own unit. The cheapest units start at about $100. The young couple find that going on geocaching outings gets them outside, helps them meet people, and takes them to new territories. “Geocaching is great for all people, even people with disabilities can enjoy this. I am speaking from a voice of experience. I have a spinal problem and limited upper body movement. All geocaches have ratings of difficulty, and I find that helpful in choosing the ones we want to search for.”
The next step was to put Cuba on the geocaching map, or, in this case, get the caches that she would place in Cuba posted on the geocache web site, www.geocaching.com. If a person goes to the site, he or she can give a zip code and find nearby caches. Caches all over the United States and the world are posted on this site. Recently, the Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure took place in Meramec State Park. It was sponsored by the Department of Natural Resources and the St. Louis Geocache Association.
After getting permission from the city and Viva Cuba, Jennifer created the information for Cuba’s caches. If you go to geocaching.com to get coordinates for Cuba’s sites, you will also find pictures and a history of the area and its attractions. The Cuba geocaches will highlight several of the city’s murals. Hood Park and Tangle Creek Park are also featured. Jennifer says that an aspect that can help the parks and city is CITO--Cache In/Trash Out. The cachers keep an eye out for vandalism and pick up trash wherever they go. However, remember that you need a GPS unit to follow the coordinates to caches in Cuba.
Jennifer says many types of people and all ages enjoy geocaching. “It really gets families together, and it gets people away from computers and the TV to enjoy the outdoors.” Although it is not necessary, there are group gatherings where people go caching together. “Even though we don’t have any children, it has been fun to be along with groups and watch the children find and eagerly open the ‘treasure box’ to see what they can get.”
In Jefferson City, which really supports geocachers, a group gathered to play geobingo and have a potluck meal. The goal was to locate the caches in the city with bingo numbers in them. At the end of the day, they saw how their numbers fit on the bingo cards. “The best advice to give newbies (new geocachers) is to jump right in. If you aren’t sure you will like it, contact some local groups and see if someone would be willing to take you along. Geocachers as a rule are a very fun and likable bunch of people and enjoy helping new people get started.” The Crittendens look forward to their geocaching activities and try to do one a weekend.
If you see visitors wandering the area, looking at small devices, looking, up, down, and all around, don’t be alarmed. Respect their hobby; don’t be a muggle. Don’t ask them where the caches are because if they tell you, they’ll have to ....

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.10.1 - Release Date: 4/20/2005
**************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field