[GeoStL] Re: Garmin 60CSx

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:48:58 -0600

-
I use City Navigator 8, TopoUSA, Topo 24 K National Parks, and I have made
many maps.

Obviously you need to get City Navigator to do turn by turn navigation, find
businesses, addresses, etc. Version 8 has some issues with accuracy and
sometimes it does strange things, but overall a real good program.

City Navigator is basically useless when you are off a road and out in the
woods.  So if you don't worry about that, then all you need is City
Navigator.

TopoUSA provides topos for the entire country.  Some places they are better
than others.  In places where there are mountains, the topo lines are
sufficient to figure out the terrain.  Lots of the flatter areas like around
here, it is not very good as the contour interval is not small enough to
tell you much about the terrain.  It, however, will tell you where the
rivers and streams are which can be essential in trying to figure out how to
get to a cache.  It also has some trails on it, but tends to not be very
accurate.  They also provide geographic points of interests (summits,
valleys, etc)

I have the Topo 24 K National Parks Central (in our areas it covers all of
Mark Twain National Forest and the Ozark National Scenic Riverway and lots
of nearby areas, it also covers Shawnee National Forest) and I have Topo 24
K National Park Western.  These only cover a small percentage of the
country, but the maps are top quality.  They have good contour intervals,
good hydrology, and lots of trails (which is usually fairly good)

You can also make extremely high quality maps for garmins with free tools on
the web.  It has a learning curve, but once you figure it out, they are easy
to make.  I have made high quality topo maps for most of our area and many
more places.  I also have trail maps that will load on garmins.  The best
thing is I give them away for free at

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?author=4216

It is a bit complicated to get them set up in MapSource, but it is easy once
you do the initial set up.  I am always willing to help.

I see the other comments that they do not use the topos, I use them all the
time.  They make things much easier when you know the lay of the terrain,
where the trails are, and where the hydrology is.  It is much easier to
figure out the best way to get to a cache out in the woods with topo maps
than a street map.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"