[GeoStL] Re: Garmin

  • From: "RNX" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:18:18 -0400

-
I recently purchased the new Garmin Vista HCx after using the Garmin Venture
Cx for over a year. I'll gladly share my opinions and learned lessons on both
models;

"Geocaching mode" - feature set that includes two waypoint categories tracking
'found' and 'unfound' caches, moving 'unfound' caches to 'found' category as
appropriate, listing nearby geocaches that are unfound (you have to load the
waypoints into the GPSr), next closest cache, etc

"Outdoor GPS games" - a virtual obstacle course/maze, depicted on the screen
of the GPSr, through which you must physically maneuver.

"high sensitivity receiver" - the same receiver chip found in the
significantly more expensive Garmin 60 series.

The electronic compass is not required for geocaching but can be helpful. The
electronic compass is a battery hog and I keep it turned off unless I need it,
which is seldom. Without the compass the GPSr is dependant on your forward
movement to tell the unit which direction you are facing with an assumption
that you are walking forward while holding the GPSr with the top pointing
forward. If you hold the GPSr bottom forward then the needle will be point
180* in the wrong direction. This dependency on movement is why you will see
the needle "jump" when you start moving after you have been standing still. It
is making a correction based on your new direction of travel and the previous
assumptions. With the electronic compass turned on, the needle is constantly
corrected as you turn. You can rotate the GPSr and the bearing needle will
compensate.

The rubber seal trouble seems to be very common based on previous posts to
this list. Some people have had luck filing a claim under the warranty. I
purchased a neoprene carry case for my new Vista HCx and Bass Pro in the hope
that it would protect the rubber seal and prevent the trouble since i doubt
that they have corrected the problem that they have with the glue. On an up
note, the rubber seal is not actually used to prevent water from entering the
module. It is more for grip and comfort.

What model is best? is a matter of personal preference. I found the Vista HCx
with the high sensitivity chip and the electronic compass on-line for just
over half of the MSRP. That makes it about the same price as i paid for my
original Venture Cx. Both have USB ports and removable micro-SD slots for
additional storage. I'm happy with both models. If you want to do a field
trial with the two units side by side, i'm almost always ready and willing to
go out on a group hunt.

hope this helps,

cheers,