[GeoStL] GPS and mapping at next Java Users Group meeting

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 18:01:29 -0500

-
I met a guy today at the mini-RR in Glencoe.
We got to talking about GPS technology.  He
said he just started working for Agilis Systems.
Its Chief Technical Officer is going to do a
presentation at a local Java Users Group
meeting next week.  The keynote presentation
is called:  "How to capture GPS locations
and display them on a mapping system."
This talk will explain the fundamentals of GPS,
and will step the audience through capturing
GPS locations on a laptop with an attached
GPS receiver and eventually displaying
them on a mapping system. An intro will
 be provided to GPSD and the Google
Mapping API, and several key GIS concepts
will be discussed.

They meet near Olive and highway 270 from
6:30pm - 8pm. More details can be found here:
http://www.ociweb.com/javasig/

I am not a Java programmer, but I am interested
in the Google API (I'm sure that's what
geocaching.com is now using).  I currently
work just a few miles from the meeting location.
I think I will attend (it's free).   It doesn't
hurt to get out and mingle with some new people
(although, they are still geeks, like me).