[GeoStL] Re: GPS Units

  • From: "Susan Ring" <susanmring@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:50:15 -0600

-
Roadtrip,

First, welcome to the group.  Although I'm by far not the most knowledgeable
person here when it comes to hardware, I thought I'd start the discussion
because a bunch of folks on the newsgroup are off at Hawn State Park working
on the MIGC and that's why no replies have popped up yet.

I own a Garmin Legend.  Many others in SLAGA use either the Legend or one of
the other Etrex varieties.  The original Etrex (the yellow one) is very
economical but might not have enough features if you're going to really get
into geocachig.  I've been very happy with my Legend: it's quite small, very
easy to learn to use, you can download maps from Mapsource software.  My
only problem ever has been that in leaf cover or sometimes even tall bare
trees I lose the signal quite a bit, which brings me to...

I also own a Magellan Meridian.  There are a bunch of varieties of that
line, also the Magellan SporTrak.  My experience has been that the Magellans
hang on to the satellite signals much better in the woods.  The other cool
thing about the Meridians is you can buy memory cards for them and download
maps to your heart's content. They have their own map software as well. I
find them a little clunkier to use because they're larger, but I also have
small hands.

Anyway, everyone here probably has a different opinion about what's the best
GPSr.  You should see the discussion when they start talking about PDA
preferences!  If you want some in-person advice, come along on a group hunt.
You'll have a ton of fun and learn a lot.  There's one tomorrow, watch for
the details.

Susan (Rocksusan)