[GeoStL] Re: GPS & PDA etc.

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:41:59 -0600

-
Mike, and everyone else;

Yes, we do need some weekend workshops for things like this. the end of Jan
2003, I sent out an email for idea for the workshops, and I still have the
replies. It's not so much Geocaching 202 as it is GPS 101 and 102.
(projecting WP's, changing formats, metric, UTM, Bearing and headings, using
a compass, etc)

There are still lots of tricks and "how to's" to be done using GPS's and
there would be a lot of interest. Now with the movement towards "paperless
caching (laptops and PDA's), that opens a whole new area of workshops.

These need to be held somewhere with a good learning environment, not Ihop
while we're eating breakfast and taking up all the tables. Agreeing on a
location (St. Charles, No. county, So. county, etc) and time always seems to
be the problem. One of the gentlemen at our GC101 class this Spring works
for the city parks and said they would be glad to furnish shelters (enclosed
& heated?) for meeting or workshops. Greensfelter has a training room we can
use, but that's pretty far out for some.

With all the new members and Christmas toys, We really should get something
started. How about some volunteers to get the ball rolling, throw out some
dates and locations, and get the show on the road.

Rich