[GeoStL] Re: Delete or not delete, that is the question.

  • From: Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:45:54 -0800 (PST)

Then it seems to me they should learn how to use their devices before going
caching...

________________________________
 Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:21:49 -0600

--

Why Stan is "The Man"

Ty Cobb on Stan Musial: "No man has ever been a perfect ballplayer. Stan
Musial,
however, is the closest to being perfect in the game today. I've seen greater
hitters and greater runners and greater fielders, but he puts them all together
like no one else ... in my book, he's a better player than Joe DiMaggio was in
his prime."

Preacher Roe on how to pitch to Musial: "I throw him four wide ones and try to
pick him off first base."

Pitcher Don Newcombe: "I could have rolled the ball up there to Musial, and he
would have pulled out a golf club and hit it out."

Dodgers pitcher Carl Erskine was once so frustrated by his inability to get The
Man out that he wrote a song called "The Stan Musial Blues." Erskine was asked
how to pitch to Musial: "I've had pretty good success with Stan by throwing him
my best pitch and backing up third," he said.

Jack Buck said this about Stan: "When you first hear about this guy, you say,
‘it can't be true.' When you first meet him you say, ‘It must be an act.' But
as
you watch him and watch him and see how he performs and how he comports himself
you say, ‘He's truly one of a kind.' There will never be another like him."

Musial played a positive role in baseball's integration. He's never been given
enough credit for that. Musial was openly supportive of African American
players
at a time when they encountered imposing ugliness and hostility from other
players, coaches, managers and fans. The immortal Jackie Robinson, who broke
baseball's color line said that "Musial always treated me with courtesy." This
was nothing new to Musial. As a young player in Donora, he'd had
African-American teammates and friends, including Buddy Griffey (Ken Griffey
Jr.'s grandfather) and always backed them.

African American pitcher Joe Black told a story of being racially taunted by
players in the St. Louis dugout during a Cardinals-Dodgers game. Musial,
batting
at the time, kicked the dirt as if to convey his disappointment. After the
game,
Musial sought out the young Joe Black and told him, "I'm sorry that happened.
But don't you worry about it. You're a great pitcher. You will win a lot of
games." Black never forgot that.
Willie Mays has praised Musial through the years for extending his friendship
African American players during those tense days. Here's a story from Mays, who
told it to Kansas City Royals broadcaster Denny Matthews: "All-Star Game, late
Fifties. There were seven black players on the National League All-Stars. We
were in the back of the clubhouse playing poker and none of the white guys had
come back or said, ‘Hi,' or ‘How's it going?' or ‘How you guys doing?' or
‘Welcome to the All-Star Game.' Nothing. We're playing poker and all of a
sudden
I look up and here comes Stan toward us. He grabs a chair, sits down and starts
playing poker with us. And Stan didn't know how to play poker! But that was his
way of welcoming us, of feeling a part of it, making us feel a part of it. I
never forgot that. We never forgot that."
Joe Garagiola: "He could have hit .300 with a fountain pen."