[GeoStL] Re: Caches in kids playgrounds

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:03:23 -0500

-
Mike,

I understand where you are coming from, but I think there are some important
distinctions.

Caches are not allowed under bridges.  There is nothing unsafe about a cache
under a bridge or looking for a cache under a bridge.  The problem is what a
cache under a bridge can be mistaken for and what hunting a cache under a
bridge can be mistaken for.

Are not there similar issues for a cache in a kid's playground?  Someone
finding a camouflage container hidden on a toy in a playground could easily
be mistaken for something sinister.  Likewise, someone hunting for a cache
in a kids playground (even early in the morning or at night) could be
mistaken as something sinister and get the cops called.  Did not you tell a
story once about what some parents did when you were hunting for a cache in
some bushes by a playground?  I seem to remember you saying they were not
very understanding when you told them what you were doing.

I simply think caches should not be placed in places where there is a good
chance the cache or someone hunting it is likely to result in someone
thinking it is terrorist, drug, child molester, etc. type activity.
Besides, I think it is a bad idea to have a cache in a busy location.

I know there are lots of tastes out there.  I have no problem with kid
friendly caches as long as they are not in the middle of a busy playground.
There is a difference between a cache that anyone is free to try but not
everyone can complete based on their skill and abilities and one that only
some can try.  For example, I remember in the early days when someone set up
a cache on private property and only those who worked there were allowed to
hunt it.  Many were upset with this and it was quickly shut down.

In our society discriminating based on your race, sex, age, or beliefs is
generally frowned upon.  I think having a cache that only a kid can do
without worrying about getting the cops called on you raises these kinds of
issues.  I agree all caches are not doable by everyone, but I think everyone
should be able to try to do any cache without worrying about the cops or
vigilantes. There are plenty of places where a cache can be placed that is
kid friendly other than in a playground.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field