[GeoStL] Re: Caches at Castlewood

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:25:40 -0700 (PDT)

Complicated question.  Maybe RGS has a simpler answer.  As far as I know, this
applies only to the Al Foster Trail, and then only to the parts that are marked
as being within a county park.  For example, there are sections of the Al
Foster
immediately east and west of Sherman Beach which are in Sherman Beach County
Park.  Those are county and no permit is required.  But at some point, you
reach
a sign that says "entering Castlewood."  At that point, it becomes state park.
Note that I have no idea who actually maintains the Al Foster itself. It's a
joint venture among county, state and (IIRC) Meramec Greenways.

But certainly, the "developed" part of Castlewood (anything east of the point
where the RR tracks and the Meramec River pinch off the Stinging Nettle Loop
trail) is state.  The Al Foster stops at the "pinch", which is technically
closed due to RR restrictions.  Or, at least, it was the last time I was out
there.

The same thing applies on the south side of the river on the Chubb trail.  The
east and west ends are in Lone Elk and West Tyson county parks.  The middle
section, including the large section in the "bend" of the river, is undeveloped
Castlewood and is state.  I suspect things are a little murkier (if that's
possible) on this side.  Unlike the Al Foster, I've never seen any signage
indicating joint control of the Chubb.

At least, that's the way I understand it.  YMMV.  And RGS may well know better
:-D

Tom