[GeoStL] Re: Benchmark found at busch

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 06:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

-

If I were to hazard a guess I would say that it was
set as a BM for either the military or by the surveyor
who did the survey for the Busch wildlife area. It was
probably set to give a stable elevation in doing a
topo map of the area for whatever work they might have
been planning in the area. The angle that it is
setting at indicates that it has been disturbed and
the elevation is no longer any good. The stamping on
the top was not done by whoever set the mark as it was
more than likely a recycled cap and pipe...The real
elevation would be only in the books and records of
whoever set the mark.

Of course this is only speculation and it could be
something totally different for as Roger said there
are many many different kinds of marks set out there.

Dan (Thunder)