[GeoStL] Anyone seen a geocaching newsgroup?

  • From: "John Kinder" <jkinder@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:10:55 -0600

I'm looking for a Geocaching newsgroup. Anyone know where I can find one?

Seriously, there has been a striking shift recently from geocahing related
topics to general banter about everything under the sun. Maybe this is a side
effect of too much cold weather and snow to get out and hunt for caches! Now I
realize this is a "community" of sorts, and I suppose the community will take
itself in whatever direction the majority takes it, but it sure seems to me
that geocaching ought to be a major part of it!

So, I thought I'd pass along some ideas/suggestions:

a) There is set of SLAGA Newsgroup guidelines at
http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAAbout/Guidelines.html. Might be worth a read.

b) There are numerous "newsgroup etiquette" guides as well (search for those
words at google, etc.). Anyone not familiar with these might want to take a
quick look.

c) Maybe some of the off-topic banter between individuals can be handled with a
personal email reply rather than a reply to the whole community.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on my thoughts. This isn't anyone's newsgroup, its
everyone's newsgroup. It will be what we make of it.

John