[GeoStL] Re: Ammo Boxes?

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:28:20 -0600

-
They had this problem in Michigan and they baited the guy. They caught him
walking out of a strip of woods with an ammo box and they converged on him.
Keep in mind that this would be no easy task since you don't know when it is
going to happen. They just made it convenient by picking a small area, close
parking and it was in the middle of where the boxes were being stolen. After
a short time, they were missing 2 or 3 days after they were placed. So they
know that they could get several people together and watch the location.

The problem was, they could not press charges because it is not stealing. If
you leave something on public property knowing it is there and allowing
others to find it, cannot be considered stealing if someone takes something
they found. It would be like finding a toy on the playground at a park. If
no one claims it right then and there, you can take it home to see if
someone will ever claim it.

An honest person will try and find the rightful owner. However, leaving
something intentionally, does not constitute ownership. It is abandonment.

Mike Griffin