[GeoStL] Re: Additional Waypoints on Cache pages.

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:58:31 -0500

-
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT questions. Reading the guidelines for cache
saturation, it becomes almost clear. "This guideline applies to all
stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus”
posted coordinates for a puzzle cache."

So, IN GENERAL, all points of your spiffy new cache has to be *at least*
(and hopefully more) than the 0.1 mile guideline from all other
waypoints of all other caches. There are things that DID matter in the
past that I no longer care about.

I don't care if the "Bogus Coords" listed on the page are too close to a
cache. They are bogus so who cares. I don't care about parking lots
anymore, I don't care if two or more caches list the same trailhead, I
don't care about old grandfathered virtual caches. I also don't care
about benchmarks or the new virtual cache replacements called waymarks.
(www.waymarking.com)

I DO care about all other waypoints in multi caches tho even if the
waypoint is a "virtual" one. You know, the ones that say "go here, look
at a sign and get some numbers". Granted, there is no box there but it
still does count.

Does this mean that all the waypoints in your new spiffy multi/puzzle
cache has to be >528 feet from each other? No. I will let waypoints in
the SAME multicache get a little closer to each other than 0.1 mile.

Next point, you are correct about saying that you may not know where all
the waypoints for all the caches are in a park and it makes it difficult
to hide a cache. You are 100% correct. It is very difficult and getting
more so all the time. Within the last week I have had too great looking
caches try to go into Larson park. There is only one cache there.
Unfortunately it is a multi that blocks out the entire park. The new
cache hiders had to move their caches to another park as Larson is
totally "closed". That is the problem with multi caches in smallish
parks. They can easily block the whole park . Larger areas are affected
as well. This morning I archived a cache that was too close to one of
happykrauts caches in a giant area past Bush Wildlife.

How is the problem found? When a new cache is submitted that "looks" too
close to something or if i just happen to remember that there is a final
location of a cache that is there someplace, I download the waypoint and
all the other wpts I have on file of the particular area and I start
mapping and measuring. If it is too close, I have found a problem.

How are problems solved? I have to tell the cacher that they are too
close to another waypoint. I always tell them that they are xxx feet
away. If the cache placer is interested in moving the cache, they may
run a few numbers by me before placing another cache. Sometimes folks
don't and they have had to move a cache 2 or 3 times to get it right. A
cache called "Triple Play" was such a cache. It was move three times,
hence the name. It is not easy. In the Triple Play's case, I had an
areal photo of the area and marked 2 or 3 "safe areas". If I know that
the cacher has found the caches in the park, I can make a real nice map
of all the waypoints with a 0.1 mile circle around each point. It is
then pretty easy to see what is open.

Something like http://tinyurl.com/qnevd

I can easily see that the new cache (#1) is too close to 2 & 4 and can
suggest some possible good spots based on the areal photos.
N39 00.000 W090 00.000 <---from New Cache 1
N38 59.974 W089 59.964 231 ft point 2
N39 00.120 W089 59.619 0.37 mi cache 3
N39 00.074 W090 00.043 493 ft micro 4
N39 00.090 W090 00.253 0.25 mi spot5

Are you making it toooo hard? Not really. It is quite frustrating for
new cachers to find an open area. Everyday I have caches submitted that
never see the light of day because they are too close to someone's spot.
How in the world is a new cacher supposed to know where all the
waypoints for all the caches in all the parks are? It would be tough.
That's why *I* keep track of them in a separate GSAK database. Hopefully
the database of "additional waypoints" will keep track of them even
better than I can. I have been know to loose a few waypoints here and
there.

Clear as mud, right. Any more questions?

Glenn