[GeoStL] A Fourth Grade Kid Hates Me

  • From: "tnands" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching Freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:26:23 -0600

-

Ut oh.  This must be what happens when I get some free time on my hands.
\I've developed a rep and angered  a
kid. Or, maybes/ he has a sense of humor and I'm missing it.

Two different cachers, but, I believe, in the same family, recently put out
3 cache.   I found two of them without a GPS.
One was on a guard rail (wooo hooo) and the other was in a hollow tree.
Even when I found the guardrail cache I was concerned about its integrity.
It was a plastic mint or dip container wrapped in duct tape. The magnet was
under the duct tape.   I'm not sure what the other container was
in its previous life, but it was small, gray and flimsy.  Geoflage consisted
of a few small twigs. I  reflaged it better than I found it.

When I  logged the two, I saw that someone could not find either one of
them.  Naturally, the third cache put out by this family,  I could not find
without a GPS  because 1) It's probably under one of several benches that
were covered in snow, and 2)  I was DARN cold. Darn, DARN cold. However the
third  was found by the person who could not find the two I found.

 I  double checked that the guardrail cache (woo hooo) was indeed missing
and sent an email apologizing to the placer. I expressed my initial
concern about the cache and also, gently, I thought, encouraged him/her/them
to include a stash note with the caches just in case someone accidentally
found it. I also left a couple of magnets where the cache was.  I didn't
double check the other cache because it was DARN cold and I  sort of
suspected that as new placers, the coordinates may have been off. I just
followed the footprints in the snow and checked all the likely spots.

Apparently they've replaced their caches this weekend, and tonight I get the
following email from the person I "assume" is the kid.  (Also, for those of
you who clicked on my google earth link and saw the spelling on the
CongraDulations sign,  I "assume" that sign maker's spelling teacher is
alive and well.)

I have to wonder if this is indeed a kid.  Is it possible s/he's trying to
be humorous or should I look for snares when I look for the new caches? I'm
also wondering if they think we snatched their caches or if they think we're
some kind of FTF jinx.

Now, I'm not saying that the latter isn't the case, had either of these
caches been something  along the line of  an inkpen on the ground or a pill
bottle with a fake lid, then it's possible our FTF jinx status was alive and
well. But, could that really apply to duct tape and a dip container?

I know they are new cachers and are probably really, really excited to get
into the game and are frustrated that it seems that *I* have done something
to their caches. But, really, was I seriously threatened by a TEN year
old???

FWIW..  I don't know that I will rush right out and look for these (more
guardrails I believe .. without the benefit of a good puzzle or, I'll
"assume" a tricky hide. They have already been found and it's again, DARN
COLD.  LOL  I checked out one tonight and couldn't get to it because of an
18 wheeler parked in front of the guardrail.   But, I can't imagine what
this  cheeky little kid was thinking to send me this anonymous email. LOL
Was she trying to be funny? Snotty?  There's no "LOL"   Am I being dissed by
a 4th grader??

Nancy