[GeoStL] A Cache to Comfort New Orleans

  • From: Joe Taylor <rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:25:38 -0700 (PDT)

They say that in order to comfort someone, you have to have gone through that
problem yourself, otherwise, you do not know how that person feels.

When I looked at my TV at the devistation of New Orleans, my first thought was,
I have a cache called To a Sunken City.  This cache has been around with it's
current name for about 7 months now GCNDD8

To anyone who has not seen my TOA SUNKEN CITY cache, it is about an entire city
that got swallowed up by the Mississippi River back in 1881.  I live 10 miles
from here,and it is a facinating story, as well as legends that go along with
the story.

I never thought about the devistation that the people went through when that
town was destroyed back in 1881, but I assume it would have been something
similar to what we are seeing in New Orleans today, to have an entire city
swallowed under water.  If the ghost, of Kaskaskia could cry out,it would say,
"I feel your pain".

I have been thinking about giving that cache page as a memorial to New Orleans,
to let people know that this has happened before, and that we will move forward.

You may say, Kaskaskia was just a small town.  It was nothing compared to
this...  Maybe, but at this site, there is a Triptych written as a memorial to
the city of Kaskaskia.  The writer of this poem expresses the pain and
devistation that the people felt when Kaskaskia had fallen...

And perhaps to display this Poem, will bring comfort, tears, or understanding
of the power of what the forces can play upon our environment...  Again this
poem was written in memory to the Destruction of Kaskaskia after it had been
destroyed by the Mississippi River..

When I first read these words, 5 years ago upon mving here, the poem is so
powerful I could feel the pain and cry that the city left behind, so dont be
shocked if this brigns tears when reading this, and applyiung to what you have
seen in the news, again, this was written back in 1881..  (currently - it is a
cache that has a haunted theme, but I feel a respect to change that... Please
let me know what I should do in respect and honor of the tragedy of New Orleans

Preserved by:
The National Society of
The Daughters of the American Revolution

IN COMMEMORATION OF THE SIGNING OF
THE FIRST CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS
AUGUST TWENTY SIX - ONE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

The Left Plaque

TO A SUNKEN CITY
KASKASKIA
FATHER OF WATERS, NATIVE GOD FORGET
THE YESTERDAY OF AGES YOU WERE FREE
NOR COUNT TOMMOWROWS AEONS YOU WILL YET
REMAIN UNTRAMMELED IN YOUR MAJESTY.
WHEN BOLD INVADERS CAME, WITH BOAST PROFANE
TO MAKE YOU SLAVE, YOU BORE THEM LANGUIDLY;
TILL, WITH UNWONTED FEAR FOR YOUR DOMAIN;
A CITY HERE YOU GRAPPLED TO YOUR BREAST.
PLUNGING HER TOWERS IN YOUR TORRENT'S LANE
WHERE STILL THEY LIE, MAN'S WEAKNESS TO ATTEST;
BEWILDERED WHO THEIR SLEEP SHOULD THUS MOLEST;
IN VAIN THEY SEEK THE CITY WHERE THEY DIED.
HER GLORIES VANISHED AND THIER REST DENIED

The Center Plaque

TO A SUNKEN CITY
KASKASKIA
O MISSISSIPPI,MONARCH OFTHE PLAIN,
DESPOILER OLD! WE MOURN YOUR VICTIM LOW.
NOW STAY THE MIGHTY MINIONS OF YOUR TRAIN,
THAT THIS POOR VALE MAY NO MORE HAVOC KNOW;
BID NOT FAR MOUNTAINS BURST TORRENTIAL SPLEEN,
NOR TEMPESTS WREAK THIER LIGHTNING SOULS IN WOE.
FOR HERE BENEATH YOUR FLOOD'S DISSEMBLING SHEEN,
A CITY LIES, HER WALLS AND SPIRES DOWN-HURLED;
NO STONE IS LEFT WHEREON SOME CHISEL KEEN
MAY TELL HER RAVISHED FAME UNTO THE WORLD,
AND, THOUGH YOUR RUTHLESS FURY HER DEFILED,
NOW O'ER HER MIRY TOMB YOUR WAVES ARE PEARLED
WITH SUNBEAMS, ALL TOO FAIR TO BE REVILED,

The Right Plaque

TO A SUNKEN CITY
KASKASKIA
GOD'S TEMPLE FLOOR THESE LEVEL WATERS RAVE.
AND BY THESE HILLS HIS ALTERS ARE DEFINED;
THE AZURE-CIELING HEAVEN DOMES THE NAVE,
WHILE, FAR BELOW, TO WAT'RY CRYPT ASSIGNED,
THE MOTHER OF A THOUSAND CITIES LIES,
IN NATURE'S VAST CATHEDRAL DEEP ENSHRINED.
BUT NEVER ON THAT BARREN FLOOR OUR EYES
MAY NEVER FIND INSCRIPTION O'ER HER SODDEN CELL:
HOW SHE AROSE A STAR IN WESTERN SKIES;
HOW HER HOPE THERE BROKE A DREADFUL KNELL;
AGHAST WITH FEAR, FROM DOOM SHE COULD NOT STIR;
SHE PALED HER GLORY CLUTCHING AS SHE FELL,
DESPOILED FOREVER! YET THE SOUL OF HER
WENT NOT INTO THE SUNKEN SEPULCHER.

Joe Taylor
IS IT FRIDAY YET?

Check out my NEW Web Page
Favorite GC - Stories and Adventures
UPDATED - JUNE 9,2005

Rockey the Flying Squirrell

 What is Geocaching (In case you are not in the Geocaching Mailing Groups)