[geekcrypt]

  • From: Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GeekCrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 11:39:53 -0400

Hey guys,

I just joined the mailing list. Looking through the list archives, I
noticed there was a discussion regarding the name of the project. I
know the name shouldn't be something a lot of time is spent on, but I
do like the CipherShed name. I checked some domain names, they seem to
be generally available. I don't think "FalseCrypt" gives a good first
impression on a naming basis alone, to be honest. Plus, I imagine it
could open up some litigation issues (eg "false is the opposite of
true, they're still copying our name" or something).

I'd be happy to setup a IRC channel on Freenode or OFTC for the group
if there is interest. I find that an IRC presence can help both
interested users and contributors communicate.

I think the roadmap is pretty solid for the time being. I agree the
first thing to focus on is to "branding" the code: Picking a name and
replacing the TrueCrypt references (including images, as mentioned on
the webpage). That should be easy enough. Then, fix any known problems
by the Open Crypto Audit Project group, then build using modern build
environments (libraries, clang, Win7, etc).

As for changing the license in the future, I personally am a fan of
the 3-clause BSD license. It basically allows anyone to do anything
with the code or the binaries, as long as they keep the copyright
notice and don't use our names to endorse/promote their software. But
that's probably a discussion for down the road a bit.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!
-Steve