[geekcrypt] Re: Project name?

  • From: Niklas Lemcke - 林樂寬 <compul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 18:32:26 +0800

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 05:57:40 -0400
Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This project needs a better name than GeekCrypt.  Suggestions?
> >
> > Bill
> >

> How about FalseCrypt?  I already told the truecrypt.ch guys that they can
> have it if they wish, but they don't seem interested.  I think it's funny,
> but it also has negative connotations.  I love this for a FalseCrypt logo!
>
> https://twitter.com/SynAckPwn/status/471817591959617536/photo/1
>
> Maybe not... I'm not sure the boss would be happy seeing that on my desktop.
>
> Bill

Hi there,

First off: I am not an experienced crypto coder, just an interested
crypto student.

I believe we should view this as a chance--a chance to efficiently
improve the Truecrypt codebase and especially the methods development
for this so crucial piece of a free "protective vest" for the public.

I thank everyone here for sacrificing their time and participating in
the effort!

Concerning the name, why not move away from the *crypt scheme? *crypt
would always seem like a rescue mission for Truecrypt. Instead
something new, improving on Truecrypt should be born. Hence the name
should be new, different. E.g. ciphershed.

I'm not a native speaker though, so my suggestions might sound weird to
native speakers' ears.

Niklas

--
Niklas Lemcke - 林樂寬