[geekcrypt] Re: Introducing frehberg, or Frank

  • From: Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 18:14:06 -0400

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Karen Palen <karenpalensl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We have very limited resources for a very large and important job, we do NOT
> need to dilute that effort with multiple forks! We especially do not need to
> get some sort of rivalry (e.g. OS wars)!

I agree with you, however I am very against some of their current
ideas. Such as the "phone home" auto-updater and their donation and
monetary distribution.

> So far I agree completely with your short range road-map, but I also see
> agree with truecrypt,ch that locating an "official headquarters in a country
> like Switzerland could be essential.

Again, I agree! I was already thinking that we'll (eventually) need at
least two websites/hosts: One for the main site, and one to host our
GPG keys and hashes. The idea to separate them is in the event that
one is compromised, the data AND the hashes can't both be changed.
Plus, privacy laws are a hot issue.

> While I agree with your point on asking for funding, many things are going
> to cost money and that money must come from somewhere. Some form of donation
> scheme seems far preferable to either neglecting vital things (like code
> audits) because of funding or having a large corporation (or government) be
> "sugar daddy".
>
> The real question is how best to go about raising these funds - Kickstarter?
> or ???
>
> Some form of donation scheme seems far preferable to either neglecting vital
> things (like code audits) because of funding or having a large corporation
> (or government) be "sugar daddy".
>
> Anyone who contributes more than say 20% of your funding is going to want
> some control - that is just reality!
>
> Mike Waters

I'm not sure if we currently have the infrastructure to warrant a
Kickstarter campaign. We have a reasonable hosting situation right now
between Niklas' host and GitHub.

We should probably accept donations eventually (not soon, that would
"look bad?") on our website in a subtle way, but we shouldn't solicit
them (let alone force them). I don't think developers of this project
should be getting paid for this at all. Funds should be used only for
any hosting costs (SSL certificates, servers, etc) and possible future
audits.

And, it should be clearly defined that donating will not provide the
donor with any type of influence over the code, of course ;-)