[geekcrypt] Re: Introducing Peter Trei

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:36:45 -0400

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Peter Trei <petertrei@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've just joined the list.
> >
> > I hope to contribute as a developer and architect; I spent 10 years
> > developing cryptographic products at RSA Security, among other things.
>
> Welcome! Right now, development is on GitHub. I can give you rw access
> if you provide me with your username.
>
> > Have we cleared what want to do with a lawyer knowledgeable in the field?
>
> Yeah, this needs to happen. I did a tiny bit of research in the last
> hour and found some information on the subject. The more I read about
> it, the more important it becomes known to me that we need to give
> this careful thought and consideration. www.cryptolaw.org seems to
> have a lot of information.

There are some cases where it's better not to talk to a lawyer.  For
example, if you thing you might want to write some software, you should
realize that there are what... something like a million software patents?
Now what do you do?  You literally can't be creative anymore without
violating somebody's patent.  So now what?  We simply move on.

The legal issues in this case are minor compared to the crud that you face
while funding the average startup.  The IP is never clean.  This project is
clearer than a lot of startups I've seen.

Bill