[geekcrypt] Re: Crypto export law in US

  • From: Karen Palen <karenpalensl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:41:14 -0700

One point Steve Gibson brought up in his podcast https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-458.pdf

"And so my theory is, imagine that these guys decide they're done. I mean, they created what they wanted. They have a piece of code. And now out comes Windows 8. Their code doesn't support the GPT. It only supports the master boot record. And there's the whole Windows 8 safe boot complication and all of that. So they're looking, if they want to continue to move this forward, at a substantial effort in order to give this thing Windows 8 compatibility. And they look around and think, you know, why? We're done."

Speculation about the TrueCrypt devs, but I think he has a point about the work involved in supporting Windows 8!

On 06/06/2014 06:26 AM, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However, I feel *very* strongly that the first priority should be shipping a
slightly updated tool with our rebranding, to start people transitioning
from TrueCrypt to CipherShed, rather than having them switch to BitLocker.
Every day we delay, we lose more users!
Yes! I agree that, although we're talking about a lot of the future
here, the actual priorities are to:
1. Get the sources compiling on whatever systems we want to support
(Win, Linux, BSD?, Mac?)
2. Rebrand it to comply with the TC3.0 license
3. Release as 1.0
4. THEN, work on future code improvements/fixes/etc.

--
Hypocrite: (noun) Republican who collects Social Security or Medicare!