[gecko-devel] Re: Some thoughts on sqlfs, etc..

  • From: "Matthew J. Sahagian" <gent@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gecko-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:46:28 -0500

The original plan for the design was going to use a pipe or socket in order to
transfer the information.  Registering a device seems to be a step that doesn't
need to be taken, furthermore, utilizing a pipe or socket would be a direct
means by which sqlfs and sqlfsd could communicate.  Using a device seems to
allow for a more generalized usage of each, but I'm not quite sure how either
would interpret exactly what's going on.  For example, would running something
like /dev/zero >> /dev/sqlfsxx zero out all tables in the database?  With this
type of approach it seems we now have to cover three ends, the first end being
how sqlfs handles filesystem requests, the second end being how sqlfsd
translates the information and pushes it back to sqlfs, and the final end being
how /dev/sqlfsxx will work as a traditional device.