[gameprogrammer] is it wise to add more info to scene nodes?

  • From: luo_hei@xxxxxxxx
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:24:34 -0400

Working on the scene editor for Lime engine I have hit an obstacle when saving the cene to an xml file. I found that the scene nodes has no information such as material or mesh file names, just the actual material/mesh data. So, the scene cant save itself becasue it lacks information required by the map format. I tried to implement a workaround by having a separate list of scene nodes in the editor with all the relevant information, but soon noticed that keeping it in synch with scene nodes is a bit difficult, also the load process had to be replicated in the editor instead of using the scene class built-in load. For materials, the solution is simple, as they are by nature, named objects, I can simply change the current format to refer to them by name, not by file. But materials will rarely be referred inside scene files. For meshes is different. Would be a good idea to add file name to the nodes that load information from files?

--
Roger D. Vargas
Using Gentoo Linux 2010