[gameprogrammer] Re: crunch time

  • From: Paul Beet <a3toesloth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:51:02 +0000

I was under the impression that an employer asking or expecting an employee to work more than 40 hours a week must sign an agreement. I can't remember the details but we have something like that in place at my work (a reputable software firm).

If I come across the info I'll forward it on. Sounds like the producer needs a wakeup call..

Good luck

Paul

On 27 Mar 2008, at 16:07, Alan Wolfe wrote:
Heya,

I'm fairly new to the game industry, just hitting my one year mark
earlier this month, but being a long time ameteur/indie game developer
having been doing it for about 14 years now on my own.

Our producer just asked that we work 90 hour work weeks until further
notice, and we have been working 3 months solidly at 60 hours a week,
with a couple months before that of crunch like that on and off.  We
of course are getting still only paid for 40 hours and are promised "3
days paid vacation" at the end of this project.  This is a fairly
reputable company w/ aprox. 60 employees and our upper management are
industry vetrans of aprox. 20 years each (and some of them you would
surely know about!)

I knew about the unpaid overtime going into game programming but 90
hour work weeks seem a bit excessive.

What's been everyone else's experience, is 90 hours just par for the
course sometimes or is that beyond reasonable in a modern day
"professional game shop"?

Im curious to hear what people at different companies have experienced
and what the overall climate of the industry is regarding crunch time.

Thanks a bunch,
Alan