[gameprogrammer] about AMD processors

  • From: Roger Durañona Vargas <luo_hei@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:37:59 -0400

Games list seems pretty quiet, so I have to get off topic here.
Im planning to upgrade my system with some multicore CPU, but I cant
spend more than $150-170 inm a CPU-motherboard combo. I have been looking at
AMD cpus, and the price seems good. Im a satisfied ATI user since some years
ago and I would like to know if their CPUs are also good, reliable and durable.
Im not looking for too many cores, Im more interested in 2-3 cores but good
perfomance per core, because besides gaming, I do development work and some of
my tasks would benefit from more powerful cores rather than more threads. As
example, exporting complex models from blender with an intel E4500 takes around
1-2 minutes and brings CPU to 50% (a single core is used). Compiling with
CodeBlocks+gcc doesnt seems to use more than one core neither. Obviously, the
ideal CPU would be an  i7, but thats too far from reach.

--
Roger D. Vargas
Gentoo Linux 2008.0