[gameprogrammer] Re: Xlib

  • From: Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:17:28 +0100

tor, 15 12 2005 kl. 14:53 -0800, skrev Vince:
> This might not exactly be game related, but has anyone
> had any experience with getting human readable
> identities for windows in X?
> I can query the root window tree and loop through all
> the mapped windows getting the wm_name, wm_class, etc,
> but I can't come up with a meaningful list of open
> windows.
>
> To clarify what I'm trying to do, consider running an
> "xshell" where you can issue a command like
> /listwindows, identify the window you want to perform
> an operation on and then movewindow window_id, x, y.
> Doing this without a WM specific API would be nice,
> for instance I'd rather not use DCOP or the like.
You might want to look at libwnck (not sure if there is a homepage, but
it is available on the gnome.org ftp server, just google). It does not
appear to be too highly integrated into the gnome desktop, my Debian
package shows a dependence on libgtk+, but i could imagine that it isn't
that crucial to the package.

I might add that it is the library on which Metacity (the default gnome
WM) works, and was written by Havoc Penington (if memory serves me
right).

--
Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
halfdans.net