-----Mensagem original-----
De: gameprogrammer-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gameprogrammer-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Em nome de Kevin Fields
Enviada em: sábado, 10 de fevereiro de 2007 10:33
Para: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Assunto: [gameprogrammer] Re: Extending and Configuring my game

I agree with Alan's suggestions.
For a .ini file, only put key-value pairs in there that control things like
the settings of the game, such as the screen resolution, or visual effects
settings. That way, if the game, with the visual effects enabled, won't run
on the player's machine, they can go into the .ini file and disable those
effects to get the game to play.

For more important settings, such as AI or gameplay stuff, use a method like

Alan suggests. This would keep the ordinary users from cheating in your
game. The more advanced users will figure out your encryption methods,
eventually, and that's ok. You can't expect to make the game 100%
cheat-proof.

>From: "Alan Wolfe" <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [gameprogrammer] Re: Extending and Configuring my game
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:17:40 -0800
>
>you could...
>
>*use a proprietary binary format and hope they don't crack it
>
>*encrypt the .ini file and hope they don't look through your source to
>figure out how to unencrypt it
>
>*hide it away in a .wad file or something similar
>
>*hard code the data into your executable and hope they don't hex edit your
>game
>
>It all depends on how important it is to you that they can't cheat.
>
>If you just don't want the average player to be able to easily edit
>your game, you could do something like add a constant to every byte in
>the file, or xor it against a constant.
>
>if you use either encryption method (not very secure, but effective
>against 99% of the people atleast) , you can undo "addition
>encryption" by subtraction and you can undo "xor encryption" by doing
>the xor again.
>
>in C++ the bitwise xor operator is the carrot (carret?) ie: ^
>
>hope that helps (:
>

>On 2/8/07, Edilson Vasconcelos de Melo Junior <dirso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>>

>>Hi,
>>

>>I'm working on a racing game and the racing tracks, cars and car updates
>>(like engine, suspensions, NOS) could easily be read from a .ini file. My
>>problems is if I use .ini files, the player could edit those files and
>>then
>>cheat on my game. What could I use for that?
>>

>>Thanks a lot,
>>
>>Dirso
>>

>>--

10:22