[gameprogrammer] Re: Question about making Playstation 2 games

  • From: Neil Griffiths <neil_gameprogrammer.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ryan Hanlon <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:06:14 +0100

Hi,

RH> That's kind of what I was wondering.  I had a feeling that you pretty much
RH> have to be in the club, but I wasn't sure just how painful it would be to
RH> get into the club :)  Developing for a console isn't really my main goal
RH> anyway, but it would be interesting as an afterthought for a PC project
RH> that works out nicely.

I think, but don't quote me on it, that SCEE charge £500 for a test
kit. SCEA probably charge $500 for a test kit, so that's the price
you'd be looking at to get something bootable - and I think as an
unknown, you'd have a big problem getting anything from them. You'd
need to be signed with a publisher and, well, if you can do that then
this wouldn't be a problem you'd be facing. Plus they'd probably
expect you to buy a devkit from them first else the test kit would
be useless!

The PS2 is not the easiest machine to develop for - far easier would
be to convert it to the Xbox. Though that would mean getting hold of
the XDK (I don't know how far along the Open XDK is these days) - but
making a bootable disk (at least for a modded machine) would be as
simple as placing your default.xbe (XBE meaning XBox Executable) at
the root and create a xISO. It wouldn't work on a non-modded Xbox
because the XBE would need to be signed by MS. You just don't have
many options!

Neil