[gameprogrammer] Re: Question about making Playstation 2 games

  • From: Ryan Hanlon <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 03:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Neil Griffiths wrote:

Hello Ryan,

RH> I know of SDL, but writing games for PS2 Linux isn't really what I'm
RH> looking for info on.  There seems to be plenty written on that, but what
RH> seems to be lacking is information on what has to be done to a DVD to make
RH> a playable game.  Anyone come accross anything like that?

You can't do it - at least not for a unmodded PS2. And even then,
you'll find it difficult to get hold of the tool to make a bootable
DVD. There is a tool to make a bootable ISO which Sony provide - but
they only provide it to signed developers. The reason the tool exists
is so that you can burn your game and run it on test kits - which are
a whole lot cheaper than full-blown devkits.

That's kind of what I was wondering. I had a feeling that you pretty much have to be in the club, but I wasn't sure just how painful it would be to get into the club :) Developing for a console isn't really my main goal anyway, but it would be interesting as an afterthought for a PC project that works out nicely.

Ryan