[gameprogrammer] Re: Question about making Playstation 2 games

  • From: Neil Griffiths <neil_gameprogrammer.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ryan Hanlon <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:26:57 +0100

Hello Ryan,

RH> I know of SDL, but writing games for PS2 Linux isn't really what I'm
RH> looking for info on.  There seems to be plenty written on that, but what
RH> seems to be lacking is information on what has to be done to a DVD to make
RH> a playable game.  Anyone come accross anything like that?

You can't do it - at least not for a unmodded PS2. And even then,
you'll find it difficult to get hold of the tool to make a bootable
DVD. There is a tool to make a bootable ISO which Sony provide - but
they only provide it to signed developers. The reason the tool exists
is so that you can burn your game and run it on test kits - which are
a whole lot cheaper than full-blown devkits.

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if you could find it on P2P networks
but you won't be able to get hold of it through legal channels, so the
official answer would have to be that you can't do it. Sorry!

Neil