[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:51:56 -0600

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 19:47 -0500, Laurence Grant wrote:
> > Oh my. I have already played that game. I am still playing it. It is
> > called "real life". Seriously, the last thing I would ever spend time on
> > is a game that simulated corporate life in the modern or future world.
> > In the game you just described the *only* role that is worth playing is
> > the role of COB/CEO. I can not imagine anyone being willing to sign up
> > to play any other role.
> >
> > There are many reasons why games are the way the are. One is that people
> > *want* to be self reliant individuals with personal accomplishments. The
> > other is that people with enough scope of imagination to create a new
> > fantasy concept only come along a few times in a generation.
> >
> >             Bob Pendleton
>

> You are obviously entitled to your own opinion, but I 100% disagree.  I love
> all types of genres, including FPS and space combat sims.  I've spent hours
> playing single player games where I go on missions that are predefined and
> constant with a specific path from A to Z, with little variation in-between.

Of course I am entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours. :-) I truly
dislike the kind of games you just described.

> If you think by corporation I'm actually talking about performing business
> like processes and running some boring financial or Wall Street simulation,
> you've grossly misunderstood my vision.  I expect most of the game play to
> be fast paced and action packed with corporations invading other
> corporations, orchestrated with transports, marines in the back, fighter
> escorts, scouts flying ahead, Special Forces sneaking in to setup surprises
> or to knock out communications before the big strike, a lot of team work and
> action.  The difference is that players are running the corporation and
> driving the story and the missions instead of some predefined NPC based
> mission that has no significant impact to the universe overall.

Yeah, very much like wing commander but with real people in the command
positions.

BTW, if you think what you are describing is that different from the
reality of large corporate life you haven't dealt with the phone police
or the security forces of any large corporation.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +