[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: "Dave Slutzkin" <daveslutzkin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:38:04 +1100

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:47:03 -0500, "Laurence Grant"
<larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> If you think by corporation I'm actually talking about performing
> business like processes and running some boring financial or Wall
> Street simulation, you've grossly misunderstood my vision.  I expect
> most of the game play to be fast paced and action packed with
> corporations invading other corporations, orchestrated with
> transports, marines in the back, fighter escorts, scouts flying ahead,
> Special Forces sneaking in to setup surprises or to knock out
> communications before the big strike, a lot of team work and action.
> The difference is that players are running the corporation and
> driving the story and the missions instead of some predefined NPC
> based mission that has no significant impact to the universe overall.

Your 'corporation' concept sounds a lot like the 'phyles' in Neil
Stephenson's book "The Diamond Age" - the social groupings of the
future, which are quite possibly the logical next step when the
nation-state meets globalisation.  They might coalesce around a sense of
national pride, or around a religion, or around a specific concept.  The
four 'great phyles' in the book were, IIRC, the Neo-Victorians,
Hindustan, Nippon and Han.

Phyles spread through franchising.  You can buy the right to start an
affiliated organisation in a new territory, and this land then becomes
ruled by the laws of the phyle.  Some phyles you can walk in and join,
others require a complex initiation, still others you must be born into.
 And any other consequences you can think of.

This isn't the focus of the book but merely makes up the setting, though
it's very well drawn.  But it's definitely what you're talking about.

Dave.
--
  Dave Slutzkin
  Melbourne, Australia