[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: "Laurence Grant" <larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:55:56 -0500

The idea of a board of directors is so they can over power the ceo if he's
not upholding his end of the bargain.  There will be automated in-game
emails sent to alert directors when the ceo or other directors aren't
participating.  If the leaders of the corporation aren't holding up their
end of the bargain, then players always have the freedom to switch
corporations, or perhaps try and stage a coo (did I spell that right?).

> I imagine the number of top positions could be simply based on the
> percentage total players. Either way, it will be a heck of a chore to try
> making people happy by ensuring there are opportunities.

I foresee thousands of planets with 10's or 100's of corporations on many of
these planets.  The game engine will be architected for unlimited
scalability.  I hate games that say they are MMO but to handle the growth
they create separate copies of the game world that don't interact with each
other.  My professional expertise is in corporate computing, and I'm very
confident that my back-end architecture will handle 10's of thousands of
planets and galaxies and millions of potential players.  If doesn't have to
start that big, but it'll be able to scale easily.  Then again, if it ever
gets that big we wont be having these discussions will we :-)

I also expect many planets to start out as uninhabited and undiscovered, and
that many corporations might play for months or longer and never cross each
others paths.