[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: "Peter M." <plm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:04:29 -0800

Laurence Grant wrote:
My vision therefore is for a mutli-genre environment, where the focus is not on the player and not on leveling the player, but on the team, clan, or I prefer corporation you are affiliated with and how working together you can level the corporation, thereby enhancing your personal experience with the rewards of a larger corporation.

Imagine a player in-game walking into a building, walking up to a computer station, sitting down at the station and having the view go from a FPS style to an RTS style god view of the area just outside the building. You choose construction options from the controls and begin construction of a new weapons plant. You then exit the console back to FPS view, walk outside, and see the building being constructed before your very eyes.

Sound a fair bit like guilds and city building in Shadowbane. Have you looked at how that game deals with large player organizations and RTS? Also, it gets the "Massive" in it's MMORPG from occasional city sieges involving hundreds of players (the lucky ones whose clients don't crash).

Peter M