[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: "AIM3CPO BRADLEY" <bradles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:58:59 -0500

Interesting topic. I don't believe the best approach to an MMO is to force game
play preference on players. If a player wants to be a lone wolf, they should
have that opportunity. If you want to entice them to play in teams then have a
reward system for that type of game play without limiting the lone players.
I.e. More experience, loot, monster spawns . . . Could be anything. As stated
earlier, people are going to act in unpredictable ways. This in itself is a
good thing. As developers, instead of trying to tailor the game to how we
"think" the player "should" play, create a rule set for your world in a logical
manner. It would need to be something that can stand on its own when the
players start tinkering with the various facets of the game. Simply, we can't
(and never will be able to) guess what any particular player is going to try
and do. We can, give them a solid rule set to interface the world with and let
their imagination run wild! After all, isn't that what gaming is about?

Steven