[gameprogrammer] Re: Let's play... Name That Algorithm! :)

  • From: Vince <uberneen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:13:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 8/17/09, Mike Gillissie <Niyoto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Mike Gillissie <Niyoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [gameprogrammer] Let's play... Name That Algorithm! :)
> To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
>

> Hi folks!
>
> I'm in the middle of a
> situation - I have a problem
> I'm trying to solve, and it looks like the sort of
> problem that has a very nice
> algorithm named after some fine studious person. Here's
> the skinny:
>
> At this point in my code I
> have a square boolean
> array that's used to indicate
> "compatibilities" - so if I have 5 units and I
> calculate each one's compatibility with each other unit
> (as either a Yes or a
> No), I might have values something like:
>
> compat[0][1]=true;
>
> compat[0][1]=true;
>
> compat[0][1]=true;
>
> compat[0][1]=true;

I'm looking three redundant statements here.
If I'm reading your description correctly, compat might look more like this:
(adjust 0, 1 for true, false if you please)
   0  1  2  3
0 [1, 1, 0, 1]
1 [1, 1, 1, 1]
2 [0, 1, 1, 0]
3 [1, 1, 0, 1]

If you're testing to see if something along X is compatible with something
along Y, you could
#define OPTION1 0
#define OPTION2 1
and so on, then you could check with any pair like so :
iscompat = compat[OPTION1][OPTION2]

Is that what you're after?

Vince~