[gameprogrammer] Getting Started...

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:07:39 -0700

Hey all. This isn't a question, but rather a pseudo announcement/ commentary.

I have just recently (past few days) begun and made fairly significant progress on a 2D side-scrolling game using basically the entire java games-core suite of packages: JInput, JOGL, JOAL.

Currently, I have a simple map loader which reads in a text file (y'know the ASCII-based level design, where one character = one tile?) to load up the level, and I have a textured circle-y square representing the player which can move around with the pov (d-pad) of my PS2 controller hooked up through a USB connector! ^_^ And that's about it thus far, but getting it all set up was rather exciting this first time.

I ran into some issues getting the libraries compiled/working right on my system, but got that worked out through the nice forums. And most recently, I've decided that I want to go with ACTUAL polygon- based collisions, since my main character is kind of a circle, and using a square hit-box with a circle just doesn't seem to make sense. But an octagonal hit-box with a circle is pretty believable!

Anyway, my true rant for this message is a warning to plan ahead! I even DID plan ahead significantly more than usual (usual == none), and still am running into headaches, largely inspired by trying to remember my Vector-maths... >.< You don't use it, you lose it I guess.

Anyway, I hope for this project to become a nice game, but also I would like to open my framework up for community modification when I get closer to having things ironed out and they aren't in such a constant state of flux. I think there are at least a few classes I have, for instance, which have redundant/unnecessary data in them.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed a break to wind down before bed after beating my brains 'gainst my keyboard for the last few hours. ^_^

-- Scott