[gameprogrammer] Re: Daydreaming, questioning....

  • From: Sami Näätänen <sn.ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:36:44 +0300

On Thursday 17 September 2009 20:00:59 Bob Pendleton wrote:
> Ok, so I'm sitting here thinking about what I am going to work on
> next. Right now I am finishing up work on atomic ops for SDL 1.3 and I
> have promised to work on multiple device handling for SDL 1.3 on
> Linux. (it is sort of messed up right now.) But, that won't take a lot
> of time, I hope, so I'm thinking about new projects. So, I thought I
> would ask what you folks thought about some ideas and see if maybe
> y'all could make some suggestions?
>
> In no particular order....
>
> 1) Write the space war game I always wanted to write. Yeah, that one,
> or is it three? No, I think there are least 20 games in that bag.
>
> 2) Write yet another 3D drawing/layout program. This would be the kind
> of program you need for drawing 3D items and doing level layout and
> design. Trouble is there are a million of these. Reason for doing it:
> I've never seen one that took less than *months* to learn to use. Or,
> they only run on Windows or Mac so I've never tried them :-).
>
> 3) Build a planet sim so you can create game worlds without having to
> do it by hand. This one popped out while I was thinking about #1. I
> spent a lot of time learning just how hard it is to subdivide a
> sphere. Spheres are really nasty.
>
> 4) Stonewolf, the programming language:  I have started at least 8
> times to develop a language designed for multimedia apps whose design
> is aimed at the future, not the past. Designed for 64 bit address
> spaces, terabyte disks, and hundreds of cores. I have settled on the
> name, Stonewolf. Two things that a language needs are a cool name and
> a developer with a beard. Seriously, look it up. All the cool
> languages were developed by people with beards. The name is important
> too. Consider that three of the greatest languages in the history of
> computing, Lisp, Scheme, and Smalltalk, were all pretty much killed by
> their names. No real programmer wants to spend all day lisping,
> scheming, or making smalltalk.
>
> 5) Spend the time meditating, reading sutras, and practicing Kung Fu.
> At least I would feel a lot better :-)
>
> Except for #5, I would, of course, blog writing and otherwise make
> lots of noise about what I was doing.
>
> Comments? Flames?

Well I would do 4th first.
Then use it to do 1st and give the first try for the language (As a proof that
it is complete).
Now it is time to do the 2nd and 3th in parallel using Stonewolf of course.

Oh and mux some 5 to the whole period to balance everything.

PS. I would like to help as much as I can manage in that language design and
development.