[gameprogrammer] Re: C# vs C++

  • From: Vince <uberneen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:10:55 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 2/12/09, Yasser Gonzalez Soto <yassergs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Yasser Gonzalez Soto <yassergs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [gameprogrammer] Re: C# vs C++
> To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 2009, 10:14 AM
> In that case I prefer to choose a portable and free C++
> distribution, like Dev-Cpp. It´s short good strong and it
> has good gamme programming devpaks like: Allegro, SDL,GLUT
> (all them in my possession). Visual Studio.NET  is too big
> (needs two CD ROMS 700MB or a DVD 1+ GB). Another good tools
> are: BlitzBasic, DarkBasic PRO, Conitec 3D GameStudio.
>
>  And even with all that, the tools I use most for gamme
> programming is Flash PLayer 8 with ActionScript 2.0

Dev-Cpp was really nice but I haven't seen any updates for a while.  It's
actually using mingw as a compiler, which I'm quite fond of.
Alternatively there is Code::Blocks, which is still being actively developed.

Still, no matter how many environments I use, I always wind up going back to
nano and a makefile for C/C++.  Believe it or not, it's actually a pretty
reliable cross-platform setup.

Vince~