[gameprogrammer] Re: C# vs C++

  • From: Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:34:55 -0600

Paulo Pinto wrote:

True, the new languages, when they appear are a bit slower than the current ones, but the increase in productivity compensates the slower speed. And with time, the compilers and hardware improve
and they are not slower any longer.

The thing is, I used to work in Java (not for games), I've done some C#, and the increase in productivity... I haven't really seen it. It's faster to learn Java or C#, you have to worry less about memory (you still need to think about it more than most do coming right out of school), but once you're up to speed (and particularly up on templates), I don't think there's a statistically significant difference.

Maybe it makes sense from a different angle, like who you can hire, or existing libraries, or binary portability... but pure programmer productivity? Java and C# and C++ and Objective-C all seem about on par to me. Use what you like, the performance and productivity differences are going to depend more on your code than the language.

I'm not trying to make an argument about being just as productive in assembly as in Visual Basic, or anything like that; I know other languages where I can work a lot faster than C++ like Perl (and more modern scripting languages like Python and Ruby that I haven't worked with). Hell, once you get past the learning curve, I'd put forth Lisp as fitting into that category as well.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker