[gameprogrammer] Re: Application Browser Status

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:11:35 -0500

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 05:35 -0500, Chris Nystrom wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Olof Bjarnason
> <olof.bjarnason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         OK, for email programs etc. it is surely a great idea! I got
>         the
>         feeling you wanted to do arcade 3d-games (this is a game
>         programmer
>         mailing list after all ;)
>
> Well so far the only applications that I have written for it a _are_
> games. Arcade, yes (hence the problem I was having with animation).
>
> I never said anything about 3D. However, I do wonder how well a
> network layer connected to OpenGL would do. Probably another thing I
> will try out at some point.

You can play with that using X and OpenGL. That is to say, there is
already a network binding and implementation of OpenGL running over a
network. You might also want to look at the history of PEX. Which was
designed as a 3D API that could be run over a network. Also, if you can
find anything on them, the Evans&Sutherland PS300 series of graphics
workstations all did 3D over a wire.

                Bob Pendleton

> Chris
>
> --
> E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
> Business: http://www.shaklee.net/austin
> Blog: http://conversazione.blogspot.com/
> AIM: nystromchris
+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +