[gameprogrammer] Application Browser Status

  • From: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 05:34:07 -0500

As I reported in previous e-mail, I am working on an application browser to
run games across the internet from a server, by basically adding a
networking layer to SDL. I had found that an RPC model for communications to
be too slow, and I went to a messaging model. This is an order of magnitude
faster, but I ran into a new problem.

If the system has paused and the screen is not updating and waits for inpout
then you can hardly tell the difference between a network app, and a local
app. What I mean is that if it draws a bunch of stuff, then stops and waits
for input it is very fast (say for a strategy game).

However, in a system where the screen is constantly updating (such as
animation) that is waiting for an event such as a mouse click, when you
respond to the event, there is still a bunch of messages in front of it to
process (because the application is spewing out lots of messages back to the
browser to do the running animation), and so there is a very noticable delay
to react to the event as it processes the existing screen updates first. I
do not buffer the messages so they must be getting buffered in the TCP stack
itself.

I am thinking that I may have to have a second socket, that is a priority
channel, but I am not sure yet. I am not happy with the complexity of this
approach. Anyone else have any ideas?

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>