[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D C++/DirectX programmer wanted

  • From: "Laurence Grant" <larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:19:46 -0500

> No need for an apology. Nothing you have said or done is off topic for

> the list and the level of discussion is pretty normal for a proposal

> like yours. There are always people who question every aspect both

> technical and human, the result can be pretty enlightening.

Point taken.  I guess I just expected interested parties to reply, not begin
a debate.  I've posted a similar request on some forums and not started a
discussion thread off of it, but you are right, it's all good natured
discussion

> I have heard that too many times to take it seriously. You should take

> reviews like that with a large, very large, grain of salt. Remember that

> they are reviewing what they think they are hearing after applying their

> own wish fulfillment function to the discussion.

True, but these are also my opinion as well.  The few people who are working
with me also fell in love with the concept and that's why they joined the
team, not just for the love of gaming, but because they were looking for a
team with a unique vision and a place to call home

> Chasing the technology merry-go-round is a good way to kill a game. A

> good game is a good game regardless of the technology. If you do want to

> chase the merry-go-round then decide what you think technology will be

> like in 3 years and code for that.

-- see below

> Stop restarting and just build the game. If it is good you will be able

> to update it for the latest technology. If not, well, then you can write

> another game. What you are describing is the main reason most hobbyist

> games never get done. You aren't really trying to write a game. You have

> some other goal in mind (like creating a game engine better that what

> Carmack has ever done) and are spending your time on that rather than on

> finishing games.

I agree 100% percent.  Most of the time had been spent not developing the
game but understanding the technology well enough to build one.  Too much
learning and prototyping in the game just creates a mess.  I needed to get
to a point where I knew enough of the technologies being used to architect a
nice clean system, and I believe I'm at that point now.

I also feel strongly that a good game doesn't need the best engine, and I
don't want to build a "Carmack" killer.  To the contrary, I want the focus
on the game play.  You are right I am spending way too much time on the
engine, but only because I felt no existing engines provided the
adaptability and dynamics of what I need.  I don't want to compete in the
engine market, I just get a good enough engine that the game will be given
an opportunity and not overlooked before it even gets a chance

> If that is the long term plan then you need to create a company, assign

> all the IP to the company, and dole out ownership to people as they

> contribute. The "trust me" approach sounds like a con and turns people

> off very quickly. I am not saying you are trying to con anyone. I really

> do not think you are. But, since no one knows you and you have no

> reputation then you can't afford even a whiff of untrustworthy behavior.

> That is just the way it works.

See this is where people keep talking about making money and getting paid,
etc...  That's not the purpose of this project.  I know I've chatted with
other developers some have joined me and some haven't, but a common theme is
that many of them were looking for a project to call home.  Not everyone has
a vision of what they think would be a great game, or the ability to build
it even if they had the vision.  Many people just love gaming and coding and
would love to meet some people with a similar interest and work with them on
a project.  There are a ton of open source and freeware games out there.

I'm just wanting to build a team, make some friends and have some fun.  If
down the road something more happens then great for all of us, but that's
not the purpose or intent.

> Very good point. OTOH, do you have clearance from Oracle to do this

> project? Is there any way that Oracle can claim ownership of the IP that

> you are creating? If you do not have a signed agreement with Oracle

> granting the IP to you, then they most likely already own it.

This has nothing to do with Oracle, and doesn't require clearance.  I don't
work for Oracle, and I'm not doing anything unethical.  Aside from my award
which had nothing to do with gaming, my only involvement in Oracle is that I
want to use their database technology for the server side of this game.
Oracle provides their engine free of charge for a development environment,
it's called "Oracle Database 10g Express Edition", so I am well within legal
rights to use the product the way I am

Thanks for all the feedback, it was very enlightening, and I'm enjoying all
the other comments being made.