[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D C++/DirectX programmer wanted

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:09:32 -0600

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 22:12 -0800, Kevin Jenkins wrote:
> An MMO isn't a small investment.  You need top-notch programmers for one
> thing, which is a lost opportunity cost.  I think even the smallest MMO
> would take two programmers a year full-time.
>
> With 14 and 20 years of experience that's a lost opportunity cost of 2 X
> 200K a year = 400K.  An artist with 4 years of experience is another
> 60K.  Bandwidth is nothing in comparison but will run you about $1000 a
> month for a small game.

Where did the 14 year number come from? And where do you get $200K/year
for a programmer? As for the rest of it, well there are half a dozen
programmers and engineers in my neighborhood who all have over 20 years
experience, most on the high side of 30 years experience, and not one of
them has been able to find a full time job in the last 4 years.

Highly experienced programmers are a glut on the market. No matter what
level of experience they have they can't get jobs. Many of them are
teaching math and science in local schools.

Oh, yeah, about the bandwidth cost... if you design the game correctly
you can get the bandwidth cost down to near zero. But, you are right the
majority of server centric games does require major bandwidth
expenditures. OTOH, if the game is popular enough to need 1000/month in
bandwidth you can most likely make that back just with advertising. Not
to mention that I didn't see anything about the game being free to play.
I know a fellow who runs an MMO for $600/month for the servers and the
bandwidth and makes a living selling in game merchandise (no physical
reality) to players. Lives nicely and has for a long time.

One final comment. You may find it inconceivable that anyone would be
interested in something like this. So, it is unlikely that you would
ever be involved (especially if you are making $200K/year as a
programmer). But there are a lot of people would like to get involved.

                Bob Pendleton

> Add in miscellaneous costs and you're giving up half a million dollars
> over the course of a year.
>
> Chris Nystrom wrote:
> > On 12/9/05, Kevin Jenkins <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Why would someone with 20 years experience and someone with 14 years
> >>experience work on a freeware project and want to hire a programmer that
> >>couldn't find a paying job?
> >

> > Perhaps they are looking for someone that may already have a paying
> > job? It does not appear to be a paying gig, so someone without a job
> > will either pass, or look at it as a resume material opportunity.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > --
> > E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Business: http://www.shaklee.net/austin
> > Blog: http://conversazione.blogspot.com/
> > AIM: nystromchris

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +