[gameprogrammer] Re: 32-bit DOS serial comms

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:09:53 -0500

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 12:05 -0400, Justin Coleman wrote:
> (This isn't strictly game-related, but I believe the info could be
> useful to anyone still working with 32-bit DOS games. I apologize in
> advance if this is not the case.)
>
> If anyone is using (or has used) the OpenWatcom compiler for 32-bit
> DOS development, what library do you use for serial communications?
>
> I have an old application (~1984ish) running in 16-bit DOS, and I'm
> trying to port it to 32-bit protected mode for a speed and memory
> boost - we use very large data structures and do a good bit of
> graphical display. This application also uses binary serial I/O (Com1
> or Com2) to exchange data with another pc.

I have some very old DOS serial IO code that worked with 16 bit DOS and
was written for Turbo C++. It could be ported to work with Watcom, but
it would take a bit of work. I'll send it along if you want it.

                Bob Pendleton

> We do all our comm stuff right now with a library called Greenleaf
> CommLib - even though it lists Watcom 10.0 as a supported compiler, it
> doesn't seem to work with OpenWatcom. We got link errors with the
> provided .lib files, and when we rebuilt them about half the function
> calls crash the app.
>
> Is OpenWatcom actually compatible with regular (older) Watcom lib
> files? If not, could anyone suggest a cheap (or free) alternative comm
> library or code?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Justin

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +