[fsf60k] NA water update

  • From: Peter White <pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:02:09 -0400

Hello All. This past week I had a conversation with Bill Ofenloch who was in
Nica for 10 days in early June. Dick Wiltamuth was also present for the
speakerphone chat (Bill's car broke down so we met telephonically). Mostly
Bill was there to ask questions, find facts, have meetings with Douglas and
others of interest in the NA water project, check things out in NA, etc.
Here are some of the points which we spoke about:

1. Bill thinks that the solar water project should go forward, but it is
still months away. So he suggests an overhaul of the present
generator/diesel system that has been in use since Aug. 2007. He suggests
using a different mechanic than they have been reyling on/paying as it is
usually a stopgap repair, and not a major overhaul. No one knows how much
such an overhaul would cost, or who could/would/should pay, but thinks it is
important to check out and try to accomplish. Neither of us knew whether or
not Conchita had any left over funds from any previous projects. Bill seemed
to think a lot of Marco, the Austrian volunteer now living in the Peace
House (alt. svc. to the Aust. military). He is part of the supervisory team
overseeing the Chac. water project and may know some more reliable
mechanics. I would suggest that if such an overhaul takes place, that a bit
more be spent to have a mechanic go out to NA periodically to check, train,
etc. and not just put it back into the hands of Gonzalo or other
non-mechanical people.

2. We spoke of the Australian company that is to supply the pump and other
equipment. I questioned whether or not, in this entire planet, the pump
equipment to be ordered/bought/shipped from Australia is the only option.
Meaning, isn't there  comparable equipment that could be purchased from
somewhere closer than half way around the world. Bill mentioned the jack
pump notion, but said the Australian equip was better.

3. Bill said that Douglas, our trusted rep/salesman/solar installer from
Managua who works for Sunni Solar, estimated the cost of the system at about
$25000. He also said that Douglas' estimate included 50' of pipe when 170'
or so was necessary. So cost could be more.
I said that we, Friends, has $20000 at this time for this project, so
already we're short. We have $10000 left from the Iovino water money, and
$10000 from the Joe Wnukowski/PECO grant for a total of $20000. We also have
$5000 from the Liquidnet grant which we voted to put toward a future health
clinic in NA. However, we could use the $5000 from this future project now,
because  water is more of an immediate concern and does affect health in a
big way obviously. I'm sure either Friends or Students or one of the college
groups Mike organizes could make up the difference when it's time for the NA
health clinic to be constructed, maybe next year or so. So we could put
together the $25000 if we had to and voted for it. But if it runs higher
than that, we'll need help from some other group/s.

4. Bill said that the 2500 gal. NA water tank that toppled last year was
replaced and installed. I believe Shari's JMU group paid for the replacement
tank. Bill was writing Conchita to see if it is fully connected and running.

5. We are awaiting word of the estimated cost on renovating the house
formerly owned by Imperatriz, which is part of the Chac. land purchase that
Students is doing. The club has set aside $15250 or so from 2008 for this
project. The land will cost about $17500 and JMU has pledged $2500. So we
can buy the land. However we also need to renovate the house to turn it into
a comedor for the Alberto Berrias school, the largest school in Chac.
Students 2009 Nica committee agreed to add some money if the 2008 money and
JMU money isn't enough. We're hoping the renovation can be done for under
$3500. Vamos aver.

6. Bill and I and Dick spoke also of replacing the diesel gen. with a new
one in NA if the cost of overhauling the two year old one is prohibitive or
too expensive. For $4000 or so, we could just purchase another new gen. and
have a better trained technician maintain it, this time with decent shock
absorbers, a spring chassis system, etc. Seems the problem, and there were
many problems with its upkeep, operation, and maintenance, was that it was
worked very hard for the past two years by non-mechanics who did not change
filters or oil regularly or at all, let it overheat, and mostly let it shake
like crazy on the cement floor to the hot little bodega it was housed in
until it became a piece of junk. If it is $1000 or less to overhaul then
great, if it is $3000 or more, then maybe a new one is in order. There needs
to be some system until the solar is in place, which may be months away at a
minimum. Bill said that once solar is installed, even though maybe a
sophistocated piece of equipment, it should be rather low maintenance. In
other words, maybe Gonzalo and others should be told not to touch anything
and wait for a mechanic that we could locate to see into things on a regular
basis to make sure all is operating well.

7. We didn't know whether or not George has received a formal contract from
Douglas? Or when it might be coming? Whether or not contracts there are
different or the same as here? (Maybe John Coronna or Marcos has an answer
to that one).

8. I mentioned that I met a friend that works in the solar installation
field here and is quite knowledgeable and maybe he could suggest some things
we aren't thinking of, etc.

9. Bill wanted to know whether or not there was a contract with Pedro Lopez,
who put in the system in summer of 2007. I sent the money which was club
money but in the Friends account then to Monica who was with Glen Meyerowitz
and  his mom when this was done. I don't have a contract, but maybe one of
them does or Conchita.  Bill also asked if there was any training done by
Lopez to Gonzalo or others at that time, or not.

These were most of the topics we covered on our phone chat. Dick and Bill,
if you have anything to add to this email message, please say so. PW

8.

***
You can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to
fsf60k-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.
An archive of messages is available at //www.freelists.org/archives/fsf60k.
FAQ'are available at //www.freelists.org/help/faq.html***