[fsf60k] Re: From Fran re: Words from Carol for meeting

  • From: kcshr@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 06:38:41 -0500 (CDT)

Fran, your letter is very insightful and both you and Carol are to be thanked for taking the time to voice your concern and offer suggestions.  Today presents the perfect opportunity to begin what you suggest!  Come to Northport park and spread the word.  Tell people who we are and what we do.  Invite them to join us at our next meeting or just help with a donation.
Whatever amount of time you can share will be appreciated.  Look for us right next to SF60K.
Kate

On 09/17/11, akillelea@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Carol and everyone,
Thoughtful and thought-provoking letter, Carol, thank you for taking the time.   I guess I have some comments along with others of us…
First of all, I want to say, having been around from early on, that in my view both Students for 60K and Friends of are really unique on Long Island– lots of people I meet express that they wish such things existed in their school districts and their communities.  The groups are the shining fruits of the ideals, hard labor and intense dedication of two people, Dick Streb and Pete White, and then Dick W., and we can never recognize  that enough, and then their continuation and the continuation of our projects are thanks to the ideals and hard work of many others – we all know who you are and we thank you all for your work and your sacrifices.   I think it’s important to note that people who will set aside much of their own personal life and needs for others these days are HARD TO FIND (myself included).  We saw that when looking for new advisors for Students, and we see that in our meetings at times, which is the frustration Carol refers to, and she is right, but that’s a hard thing to solve.
I think the mission of both groups is still absolutely valid, and I am signed on – to help the poor and underserved wherever they may be, with a special focus on the truly poorest poor (so that would be in the developing world, of course, for example Nicaragua).  I for one don’t feel we want to change our mission’s focus, just to see where we want to focus our energies and time.

And of course that time, for most people, is limited.  Particularly with a small group like Friends of.  I think there are many who would sign on to our group if they knew of its existence, so that is probably a good argument for example for holding our film festival at the Cinema Arts Centre, so we can cull HIHI people and other like-minded folk who want to commit their energies to helping others less fortunate but don’t necessarily have or know of a group to do it with.  Perhaps limiting ourselves to the Northport area has been limiting.  PR and letting people know that we are here, I think, is key.  Let’s broaden our publicizing of our mission and activities somehow, I’d say.  Of course we need grants, and monies – there is no doubt.  And that’s not easy.  And of course we have to continue our good work in Nica and elsewhere, and add projects which make us passionate in line with our mission.  (What personally makes me “passionate,” as Carol has asked, are dealing with poverty here and elsewhere, fighting racism against Hispanic immigrants here, and facilitating access to health care for the poor.)

But I feel that we need to grow our membership first and foremost, in every way we can think of, as it’s not fair to have Pete, Kate, and a few others bear most of the burden of whatever projects we are committed to.  So let’s brainstorm how to do that at upcoming meetings?  If we want to suggest specific other projects while we are doing that, fine, but let’s above all stay on mission and publicize that mission first and foremost, so we will grow our manpower (humanpower) for any specific projects.

I disagree a bit with Carol, in that I feel we have a huge untapped membership potential in former Northport High School students and their parents – they may not be local, agreed, they may not be able to or want to come to meetings, they may not even go to class reunions, but they can still be virtual members – and virtual members who pay a small fee annually for their membership so that those of us who are local and can do things together in a nonvirtual way can do our work.  I think many of those former SF60K folks would want to maintain their connection with our group or with Students, and other Northporters may wish to enhance their lives by such a connection – but we have to aggressively find them, we need to let people know more aggressively that we are here,  what we do, and how to get involved and stay involved with us.  We are the followup to Students for those folks, young or old, local or as close as a click of a mouse.

So in short, I personally think PR is the key to our group’s continued and growing success, whatever our specific projects.  Why don’t we brainstorm ways we can do ongoing PR, including to both younger and to older folks who may not use Facebook and so on, out there in all our surrounding communities.  I feel we need to get our name and our group out there – make the mission clear, and keep people updated on what we are doing and our meetings and contact info, maybe monthly.  Maybe use libraries, newspapers, pennysavers, garage sales, and the like in addition to the Internet.  It takes time, but it could pay off in my view.  People at different stages in life have more or less time, this is true and that’s OK.  But everyone has time to write a check or check an email, to “participate” virtually in our projects and contribute something.  There is so much work to be done helping those less fortunate – it is far too much for one person, or 6 people, to do.  But the need remains clear, we just need more help, and that means more people who know we’re here and want to sign on for whatever they can contribute.
This is the way I see it, maybe some agree with me?
Best to all,
Fran Killelea