[fsf60k] FW: Suffolk County Hate Crimes Task Force

  • From: Peter White <pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lisapflanagan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, clubgomes@xxxxxxx, ikecip@xxxxxxx, fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, abbyfl57@xxxxxxxxx, dwiltam@xxxxxxxxx, kelleystanford@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:56:04 -0400

Hola. This is FYI. The hearing (the last one of the four held by the task
force) will take place in a small auditorium in the large sports/gym
complex. It begins at 5:30pm. I would like to meet with/speak with any
students going, or any adults so we're not redundant. My bottom line is
going to be that of course not all in the Suffolk Co. youth/adult community
are hate filled, even though the Southern Poverty Law Center's report shows
the county off badly, that on site study/hands on experiences with those who
are Latino (i.e. the Nica Project and the Farmingdale/HIHI projects) is very
helpful when it comes to creating understandings among people, things like
that. If any student (Abby and Kelley expressed interest I believe) were to
speak, I suggest that they talk to the commission members briefly (I don't
know how many minutes each speaker will have) about how the Nica and L.I.
experiences they've had with others outside Northport/Latinos changed them,
their view/s of things and people, etc. PW