[fruityloops] Re: welcome!

  • From: "Gwydion" <gwydion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:35:32 +1100

> It took me about 8 hours of playing around with fruityloops to figure
> this one out.  It is a particularly good approach if you are writing a
> progressive approach as it allows you to experiment with bringing
> different parts in and out of the mix to achieve the desired effect.

Exactly :)  I find that what I start with in my head and what I end up with
are often quite different because it's so easy to experiment with "layers"
of instruments in this way :)

> operations without sacrificing stability.  As a software engineer I am
> particularly interested in this aspect and wondered how imageline went
> about creating fruityloops.  Normally exceptionally stable products come
> about as a result of designing it right from the ground up, but from
> what I can tell, fruityloops has evolved significantly since it was
> first released.

Ditto - I used to be a programmer for a living too, and I'm equally
impressed for the same reasons.  The underlying framework must be a work of
art!

> > Dislikes in FL include the total inflexibility of the effects routing,
> I find it OK in this respect.  Could you expand on this?

OK, take for example my favorite effect combination - the "Jarre Strings"
effect.  Take a string sound out of a synth/sampler into a phaser.  Take
100% wet output from the phaser and put it into a delay unit.  Pan the 100%
wet phaser output hard left and the 100% wet delay output hard right and you
get the lovely swirly JMJ string sound as used in Oxygene :)

Now, I can easily do this in Reason, or Reaktor.  But I can't see any way to
do it in FL.  I'd love you to prove me wrong if I've missed something.

> Could you mention this list to these communities?  Fruityloops users
> seem to be thinly spread over a large number of different communities.
> At the moment it doesn't feel like there is much of a community around
> fruityloops, which is part of the reason why I started this list.

I sure will.  Would you please remind how to sign up, or point me to a
signup page, so I can give them the full details?

Thanks,
Gwydion